Thursday, July 29, 2010

Back to Salt Lake for more Chemo!

Oakley was scheduled for his next round of chemo on July 29th so we headed down the day before with some friends. About 1/2 hour outside of Salt Lake City the nurse called and told me Oakley didn't make counts and wouldn't be able to receive his chemo the next day. Seriously?! Yep, she was serious. She said she was sorry but they would draw his blood again on Monday and see where he was at. Oh, and have a nice drive back! I really tried to keep my cool with her, (I'd say I did an okay job)! Needless to say, I was TICKED!!! I was more mad at our Dr.'s office in Casper because they're they ones who waited two days to fax his blood results to the hospital, if they had faxed the results the same day they faxed them to me, all of this could have been avoided and I wouldn't have been STUCK in Utah! So because I really didn't want to make our friends turn around and drive home the next day only to have to again, drive back out on Monday, I called the hospital and asked if we could get a blood sample sooner. The hospital agreed to redraw early Friday morning, only because we were from so far away.

(Quick Insert: Thank you so much to the Hansen's for giving us a ride out to S.L. I don't want to sound ungrateful for their kindness in letting us tag along. It definitely made the ride easier and funner... I didn't have to drive and I had someone to talk to! Thanks again, we owe you!)

Bright and early (8:30) Friday morning we headed into the Oncology clinic. They drew his blood and then sat us in the infusion room for chips and movies while we waited. Around 10:30 they said he'd met counts and they started him on IV fluids. Now we were just waiting for a room to open up on the Oncology floor. Around 12:30 they came in and told us there was a mistake with his lab results and he was still too low to give him the chemo. Seriously, again?! So, home we went to spend the weekend at Uncle Carl's house! This time I just smiled and said, we'll be back! :)

Well, David was supposed to be coming down for the weekend so he could drive us back. What now? Since it was already in the plan, he went ahead and brought the kids down for what ended up being a great getaway weekend. I know, in Utah right? It was perfect. Oakley was in the BEST mood!

One of his new favorite things to do is watch movies on Dad's ipod!

Watching Harley & Maverick dance in the rain!

Notice Harley is too wimpy to get near the rain, she's dancing under the trees.

He loves to dance!

We went and saw How to Train Your Dragon TWICE! Oakley literally laughed his head off! He LOVED the movie. He ate, ate, and ate some more. We made at least 3 stops at fast food restaurants a day... and there was NO wasting. He inhaled everything he ordered each time. It was great seeing him in such high spirits!


  1. we are so glad that things are getting better for Oakley! Getting to utah and getting told that you could get your treatment done would make me(sharifa) very mad!!! You are a great mom. Ethan askes for Harley and Oakley a lot. We hope to see you guys soon and continue praying for Oakley's health! WE LOVE YOU ALL!!!

  2. I am so happy for these updates. Oakley is just adorable and is in our prayers everyday. You are an amazing mom!!! We love you guys!

  3. What a long trip! We're so glad to hear that Oakley is still doing well with his treatment. Love you guys!