Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Still going strong...

Typical morning:

Wake up @ 6:50. Mom gets ready. Yes, I'm lazy and don't want to get up in the mornings. 7 AM wake Oakley up by changing his clothes. He asks "are we going to the building hospital?" (Seriously, he asks this question EVERY morning.) Out the door by 7:05 ish. Drop the truck off with the awesome valet men to park the monster. Oh how I hate parking Dave's truck. Head straight to Oakley's designated room and wait patiently for the anesthesiologists to come get Oakley. We head back to the radiation room anywhere between 7:30 and 7:45. Oakley hands them his "tubie" so they can give him his "milk" (sedation medicine) and he's off for a quick sleep. Usually with no problems...though, I did have an anesthesiologist come in a few days ago and ask me if Oakley had a cold or anything like that. I told him nothing I really considered a cold or new symptom. He said he was curious because my son had just stopped breathing on the table and he had to go and breath for him for a full minute before Oakley started breathing on his own. What a scary thought for a mother...but I have full confidence in them that they will take care of my baby while he's on their table. Seriously, what an amazing team here at the Huntsman's Cancer center. They always assure me that they will take good care of my Oakley while he's in their care. I put my total faith in them each morning that I leave my son with them.

Anyway, they put him on a metal table where they place a special mask made to fit him perfectly over his face to hold his head in the same position each time and then fire those radiation beams... really I don't know what all they do and how they do it because as soon as he's out, I leave the procedure room and head back to his room. They usually bring him back to me 45 minutes later. If they bring him to me asleep, we have a better morning because he can come to on his own. If they wake him up before bringing him back to me, it's going to be a looooong morning. He's not too happy when this happens so we try avoiding it as much as possible. Certain anesthesiologists are better at bringing him back to me asleep.

We have to wait around for 30 mins after they bring him back to make sure his vitals are stable and then we head home. So far Oakley has handled the radiation rather well so we usually run an errand, just to get out and about and then head home for a quiet afternoon. Oakley is usually ready for a nap by then.

1 comment:

  1. It's so great to hear some new news! We know that you have your plate full, but it's always good to know how the little man is doing! We love you all and can't wait to see you again!!!